Autumn Baked Oatmeal
For the oatmeal
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ⁄4 ground nutmeg
- 3 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 - 1 ⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 1 ⁄2 cups milk regular, almond, coconut – whatever you prefer!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil melted and divided
- 2-3 large tart sweet apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 ⁄2 cup nuts and/or seeds toasted and chopped
For the maple Cream
- 2 tablespoons nut butter peanut, almond, cashew
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- pinch salt
- dash vanilla extract
- squeeze of lemon
- Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch baking pan with butter or coconut oil and set aside. Preheat oven to 325°F if baking immediately (this recipe can be made the night before and stored in the refrigerator to bake in the morning).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, baking powder, spices, salt and maple syrup. In a large liquid measuring cup or bowl, whisk the milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture and add the melted butter or coconut oil. Whisk to combine.
- Arrange the diced apples evenly over the bottom of the baking dish and pour the oatmeal mixture over the top. At this point you can cover and refrigerate overnight or bake right away.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the top is golden and the mixture is set and not jiggly.
- To make the maple cream, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Once oatmeal has cooled slightly, top with maple cream and toasted nuts/seeds, and enjoy!