Buckwheat, Beet and Hazelnut Salad
- 2 cups toasted buckwheat
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 large beets peeled and diced
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 ⁄2 leek sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper
- fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place beets in a bowl and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, until tender.
- Put buckwheat into a small pot with 3 cups vegetable broth and cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, turn the heat to low until all the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Once the water is absorbed, leave the lid on, remove from heat and let rest for another 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons olive oil in a pan. Add the leeks and fry, over low heat until soft. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add mushrooms and season with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Cook until vinegar disappears. Add spinach and allow it to wilt.
- Remove veggies from heat and combine with buckwheat in a large bowl. Top with roasted beets, hazelnuts and fresh parsley.