Caramel Chocolate Lava Cake
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 stick unsalted butter plus melted butter for brushing
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 4 heaping teaspoons of cold store-bought caramel sauce
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Rub four 6-ounce ramekins with melted better or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk cocoa powder with 1 tablespoon of flour. Dust ramekins with cocoa mixture then turn over and tap out the excess. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 stick of butter with chopped chocolate over very low heat. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt at medium-high speed until thick and pale yellow, about 3-4 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the melted chocolate until no streaks remain. Then fold in the flour until just incorporated.
- Divide about 2/3 of the batter evenly among the four ramekins. Then spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of caramel into each ramekin. Sprinkle with sea salt then cover with the remaining chocolate batter.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 12-14 minutes, until the edges are just set but the centers are still slightly jiggly. Transfer the ramekins to a rack and let cool 5-8 minutes.
- To remove the cakes, run the tip of a small knife around each cake to loosen. Place a small plate on top of the ramekin and invert. Carefully lift off the ramekins and serve immediately!