Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots heaping
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs beaten
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the grated carrots and vegetable oil. Slowly add the flour mixture, stirring until just mixed. Add the beaten eggs and stir a few times, until just incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into each tin, filling about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 13 minutes, while checking doneness towards the end. If needed, add several more minutes until the tops are golden brown, and the top springs back when pushed down with your finger. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, blend the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until fully incorporated. Transfer to a piping bag or smear on top of each cupcake.