Classic Beef Chili
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth or water
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
Toppings as desired-
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add olive oil and heat til shimmering, then add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the pot and break apart with a spoon or spatula. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chili powder, brown sugar, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir until combined. Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with juice), beans, and tomato sauce. Stir again.
- Bring the liquid to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and gently simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving with desired toppings.