Vegetarian (and in this case vegan!) recipes often have a bad reputation for being incredibly heavy in the carbohydrate department. But we’re here to tell you that not all vegetarian recipes need to be pasta or grilled cheese (although we have nothing against either)! There are so many recipes out there (like this one!) that are balanced, healthy and down-right delicious.
Coconut Curry Noodle Soup
- 8 ounces uncooked rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ⁄2 cup shallots sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ⁄4 cup lime juice
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 ⁄4 cup scallions chopped
- 1 ⁄4 cup unsalted cashews toasted and chopped
- lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry paste, curry powder, paprika and turmeric, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add vegetable stock and coconut milk, then bring to a simmer.
- Cook noodles according to package. Drain and then rinse with cold water.
- Combine 3 tablespoons cold water with cornstarch in a small bowl. Add cornstarch mixture, lime juice, snap peas and salt to Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer then cook 2 minutes until thickened.
- Taste broth and adjust seasonings as needed. Divide noodles into large bowls. Bring broth to a boil then ladle over noodles. Top with cilantro, scallions, cashews and lime wedges.