Creamy Mushroom Risotto
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 lb flavorful mushrooms such as shiitake chanterelle or oyster mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 ⁄4 cup shallots minced
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs
- In a small saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon butter and stir in shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice and stir to coat with butter, about 2 minutes. When rice has taken on a pale, golden color, add wine, bring to a boil and reduce liquid by half, this will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add stock, 1⁄2 cup at a time, stirring almost constantly to keep the rice from sticking to the pan. Continue adding stock 1⁄2 cup at a time, waiting until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1⁄2 cup. Repeat until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in mushrooms, their liquid, 1 tablespoon butter and parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!