This recipe comes to you from kitchen store employee extraordinaire, Dale Hopkins, who reports that a batch of these has yielded not only ooohs and ahhs but also marriage proposals!
If you’re skeptical of gluten free baking, consider this: pão de queijo is, and always has been, naturally gluten free. What does that mean? Well, this classic Brazilian treat is not a modified-to-be-gluten-free-and-almost-as-good-as-the-real-thing recipe, it IS the real thing.
Dale's Brazilian Cheese Rolls (Pão de Queijo)
- 1 egg at room temp
- 1/2 cup packed shredded or grated cheese Parmesan with a little mozzarella works well
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour or tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a mini-muffin tin.
- Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender to make sure you don't have any lumps.
- Fill mini muffin tins about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The tops should only be just turning golden brown - do not brown!
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for a few minutes.
- Eat while warm or save to reheat later.
- This is a chewy bread and may have nearly hollow insides.
Try extra sharp cheddar cheese and bacon fat instead of olive oil
Friends enjoyed them with heavy cream substituted for the milk
Try adding fresh minced garlic and herbs for a nice gluten free garlic roll to have with Italian food