New Year’s Resolutions weren’t made for Super Bowl Sunday – especially when the Pats are playing. This little hand-held appetizer is a great way to provide your game day guests with a bit more substance than chips and guacamole.
Serving tip: provide a hot sauce bar for people to load up!
Preparation tip: If you’ve run out of time (or energy!) to make the fried chicken, our neighbors at the Soup Bar make a darned good chicken tender that’s the perfect slider size!
Fried Chicken Sliders
For the Fried Chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 8 evenly cut pieces and pounded flat
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
For the Spicy Mayo
- 1 garlic clove finely grated 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
For the Slaw
- 1 ⁄2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 4 cups red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 ⁄2 cup bread and butter pickles
- 1 ⁄4 cup pickle juice
For the Sliders
- 8 slider buns
- Combine the buttermilk, garlic salt, pepper and hot sauce in a large Ziploc bag. Add chicken breasts and allow to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- To make the spicy mayo and slaw- mix garlic, mayo, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Cover and chill. In a medium bowl, toss onion, jalapeno, cabbage, pickles and pickle juice in a large bowl to combine. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator.
- Preheat the skillet with about 1 inch of oil and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Shake off excess. Fry the chicken in small batches for 3 minutes per side. Remove
- from oil and transfer chicken to wire rack set inside of a baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Cut slider buns in half and spread with butter. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, cook buns cut side down until browned and crisp.
- Assemble sandwiches with a spread of spicy mayo, chicken, pickles and slaw.