Karen O’Connor and Chef Sarah Knecht are teaming up again to offer a plant based cooking class at Faye’s Cafe on Friday, March 24th at 6 pm. Details for sign up are on Faye’s Cafe Facebook Page.
We get a lot of plant based questions at the kitchen store and thought we’d share a super simple, plant based, hearty slow cooker recipe that will satisfy even the the most carnivorous appetites!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb. (about 2 1/4 cups) lentils (brown, green or pardina)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbls. garam masala (see note)
- A few grinds black pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- Put everything in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours! Taste and adjust for salt. Serve over brown rice.
- Garam Masala from Penzeys is preferred. If you're using a different brand, start with half the garam masala amount. Taste masala lentils about an hour before serving and add more if needed