Servings: 4 servings
- 12 ounces linguine or spaghetti
- 2 large eggs + 2 yolks at room temperature
- 1 ounce grated pecorino cheese plus more for serving
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots finely chopped
- 3.5 ounces pancetta diced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Lightly salt the water.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, and cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat, add pancetta and sauté until the fat just renders. Remove pancetta and set aside. Add garlic and shallots and sauté about 3 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil, then cook stirring until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions then drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Add hot pasta and pancetta back to the skillet over low heat for one minute. Remove from heat and add cheese/egg mixture very slowly, stirring with tongs the whole time to keep egg from scrambling. Add reserved pasta water as needed for additional creaminess.
- Salt and pepper to taste then serve immediately with extra cheese.