- 1 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat.
- In a small pan, melt 8 tablespoons butter, whisking over medium heat until small brown flakes start to appear and the butter begins to smell nutty. Be very careful and remove from heat immediately after browning. Leaving over heat could cause the butter to burn. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Then whisk in the milk, buttermilk, and eggs. Pour in butter and whisk again.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and add 2 tablespoons butter. Then reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Carefully pour the batter into the skillet and place in the center of the oven. Bake until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then serve.