Chicken and Spring Vegetable Ramen
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skin-on
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 cups rich chicken stock
- 1 oz dried shiitake mushrooms or 1⁄2 cup fresh
- 1 small bunch asparagus trimmed and cut in half
- 1 cup sugar snap peas cut in half lengthwise
- 6-8 oz dried ramen noodles
- 2 large eggs
- Toasted sesame oil for garnish
- Scallions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until the skin is golden brown and releases from the pan, about 5-7 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook another 5-7 minutes. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15- 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and transfer to a plate. Cover with foil to keep moist and warm. Slice into thin strips before assembling.
- To make the broth, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, until shimmering. Add the garlic and ginger, cooking for a few minutes until soft. Add the miso, soy and mirin, stirring to combine then cook for another minute. Add the stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the dried mushrooms, asparagus and snap peas and simmer 8 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Turn off heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the eggs into the water and let simmer 7 minutes (for a slightly runny yolk) or 8 minutes (for a jammy yolk). While the eggs are boiling, fill a bowl with ice water. When the timer is up, transfer the eggs from the boiling water to the ice water to stop cooking. Let cool for several minutes before peeling and setting aside.
- When the eggs finish boiling, drop the ramen noodles into the boiling water and cook according to package instructions.
- Divide the cooked noodles between two large bowls. Add sliced chicken, ramen broth and vegetables. Top with scallions, soft-boiled egg and toasted sesame oil. Serve immediately.