- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or buttermilk
- Raw sugar for sprinkling
- 6-7 cups strawberries hulled and sliced
- Vanilla ice cream OR whipped cream
- Add strawberries to a bowl with 1⁄4 cup sugar and stir. Cover and transfer to refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, 1⁄4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt together. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until mixture looks like small peas.
- Fold in buttermilk and vanilla extract until just combined. The dough will be very shaggy but do not overwork. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat until it is about 1⁄2 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut into 10-12 circles. Do know that dough put back together by scraps will not rise as well as the first round.
- Transfer biscuits to large cast iron skillet with sides touching. Brush tops with cream (or buttermilk) and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake 15-18 minutes until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Split the biscuits in half horizontally. Scoop some ice cream (or whipped cream!) onto the bottom half, followed by strawberries and the other half of the biscuit.