The secret to the best banana bread?
Low and slow.
This recipe bakes at a temperature 25 degrees cooler and for a time 30 minutes longer than most banana read recipes. The result is a moist, dense, and flavorful loaf.
Not sure about the veganized version? The original can be found in Corby Kummer’s book, “The Joy of Coffee”.
Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas ~3 large bananas
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with parchment, or grease pan with additional Earth Balance.
- Combine egg replacer and warm water in a small container, ensuring no lumps remain. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl, ideally a clear Pyrex container or similar with easy to read measurements on the side.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the Earth balance and sugars. Add the egg replacer mixture and vanilla extract. Paddle on medium speed until completely combined. Add mashed bananas and mix thoroughly on medium. Add the flour mixture and paddle on low speed just until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 85 minutes (yes, you’re reading that right – 1 hour and 25 minutes), or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.