Sunday morning pancakes get an autumn update with the addition of pumpkin, of course, and some creative toppings!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil butter, or coconut oil
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups buttermilk whole milk, or nut milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- dash cloves
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 cup water
- Whisk the eggs, brown sugar and fat together. Add the milk, pumpkin puree and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, flour, baking powder and salt gently until just incorporated. Add water and stir until smooth.
- Pour onto a medium hot griddle and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until bubbles start to pop up in the center and the edges start to look firm. Flip and finish cooking 1-2 minutes on the other side. Continue with the rest of the batter, adding oil to the pan as necessary.
- Serve pancakes immediately or keep warm in a 200°F oven. Garnish with fruit faces, top with syrup, butter, almond butter – or whatever else your heart desires!